The Spiritual Significance of Thanksgiving and Praise.
The Bible is full of exhortations to offer thanksgiving and praises to the Lord. For instance, we read in Ephesians 5:20 that we should «always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.»
But the canal mind objects «How can I thank God for everything when there seem to be so many negative things happening?» Indeed only the born again heart is capable of obeying the Lord in this and thanking Him for everything. The child of God knows that
“in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.» (Romans 8:28)
Here are eight reasons why we should always include thanksgiving and praise in our daily prayers.
1. God is worthy of our thanksgiving and praises
The Psalmist said
“ How can I repay the LORD for all his goodness to me? … I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the LORD. (Psalms 116:12, 17)
Think of all the goodness the Lord has done for you! Just think of the fact that you are alive and are reading this message! Do you know what bad things could have happened to you if it has not been for the mercies and kindness of God? Just meditate on all the other good things that we usually take for granted and you will realize that we indeed owe a thank offering to the Lord.
2. We should thank the Lord because He expects men to do so. In Romans 1:21 we see that God is not pleased with those who neither glorify Him as God nor give thanks to him,
For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened (Romans 1:21 NIV)
3. As Christians giving thanks to the Lord is part of our “sacrifice of praise”. We are edified as a spiritual priesthood, to offer continually to God such sacrifices.
Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name (Hebrews 13:15 NIV)
4. Thanksgiving is a necessary component of an effective prayer. No matter what you may be going through now, you can have peace and tranquility, when you learn to pray with thanksgiving.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV)
5. God commands men to offer a thank offering. If we refuse to make thanksgiving an essential part of our spiritual life, we are living in disobedience to God’s Word.
I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—(1 Timothy 2:1 NIV)
Then a voice came from the throne, saying: “Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, both great and small!” (Revelation 19:5 NIV)
6. Whenever we offer to the Lord thanksgiving and praises,
a. we are doing what we will do in heaven (Rev 7:9-10 )
b. We join the heavenly host of angels and elders and seraphims and cherubims in worshiping our Creator and Savior. (Rev 7:11-12)
7. Praises and Thanksgiving are one of the most effective weapons God has granted us for spiritual warfare (Psalm 149:1-9)
8. Finally, we edify ourselves (build our faith, our “ spiritual muscles») by always speaking » to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs». The Holy Spirit through Pau, tells us to sing and make music in our hearts to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:19,20)
Cultivate the desire always to have an attitude of profound gratitude to the Lord for everything and set apart enough time in your daily prayers to offer thanks to the Lord for what He has done for you and for Who He is.
Dear ones, if you are blessed by reading this and other posts on this blog, please share it. This will inspire others and help spread the Word of God and Christian values to more people! Together we will fulfill the great commission of Jesus Christ!
You can also subscribe to this blog to receive regular notifications about new publications in your mail (enter your email address and click «subscribe»/»ПОДПИСАТЬСЯ» in the lower right corner of the screen.